Curious to know what gear I use? Fret no more. Just check it out here 😃
Editors and Terminals
Because I use both Windows and MacOS bases machines I try to keep things cross compatible as possible, hence my love of JetBrains products.
- For writing all things .NET I reach for Rider. With reSharper built in it's great for getting up to speed on .NET conventions fast.
- For all my frontend or Node needs I reach for WebStorm. The refactor abilities are amazing (not exclusive to WebStorm) and just a joy to use.
- What might also strike as odd, but I still use VSCode, but mainly for as my text editor replacement, like how people use NotePad++. I write lots of PowerShell for work.
- For a terminal, I use Terminus
My themes and settings vary all the time, but at the current moment, this is what I'm rocking
- 2018 15" MacBook Pro is my currently daily driver for personal computing
- I also follow suit by using an iPhone X and an Apple Watch Series 3
- I switch things up by running an custom built Ubuntu based home server. I also have a Synology DS918+ for my home NAS and love it.
- I have an older gaming PC when I get the itch to play, but those days are fewer and far between these days. I mostly play casual single player games on the Switch at the current moment.
- I love brown key switches and use two different keyboards, for my desk at work and home I use the Logitech G610 for portable needs I use the Keychron K2, works great on MacOS too!
- Mouse of choice, Logitech G502. I dare you to find a better mouse. 😉
- I've been using this Thule Messenger Bag since 2015 and it's just now showing signs of wear and tear. It's a great bag!
I also keep an assortment of headphones based on need. I've moved all audio gear to a breakout page.
Must Have Apps
I do have a few platform exclusives but for the most part I try to keep everything the same across platforms.
- I use GitKraken for all my git work. I just perfer a GUI to not remembering all the git commits. Helps when working on teams so I don't accidentally bust the repo.
- Docker Desktop is great for keeping the same tooling across machines. I especially love it for spinning up development databases.
- Need to play the video file, but hey what's that? You don't have that codec installed? Well time to reach for one and only VLC
- Big fan of RoyalTS for all my remoting needs. I mainly use RDP but they have support for other protocols like VNC and more!
- I got all those headphones so I need a source. That's where Spotify comes in. I music genre hop so much my daily mixes are all over the place.
I have a few more exclusives for MacOS, this is mainly because I find more highly specific software for MacOS
- In place of ShareX I use, Clean Shot X but at the current moment there isn't support for custom uploading. I hope that changes some times in the future.
- A 💪 emoji game is a must! That's why I use 🚀 Rocket.
- Daisy Disk is great utility to help me keep those
node_modulesfolders at bay.
Here is what's on my phone!
Security and privacy is something I've started taking more seriously as I get older. These are some things that help me do that
- I got tired of seeing my gmail getting gunked up with spam so I've moved all important emailing to ProtonMail and haven't looked back.
- I also use another service from Proton Technologies, their VPN. ProtonVPN is another great product from a company I can stand behind.
- Multi-factored Authentication, is very important. I've taken it step further by not just using softtokens, but also hardware keys. I use YubiKeys for security keys and gives me a great peace of mind for those accounts secured with them.
- A password manager is a must have in this day and age. I highly recommend 1Password.